• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WalnutRed
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2019

`Just became introduced to the 6.5

After my stint in the Army I went a couple decades without wanting to touch a AR platform rifle. Then about 5 years ago I got the desire to build something close to the M16A1 I carried, which I did. Last year BCA had complete uppers in 6.5 Grendel on sale for around $200 shipped and I took the bait. My 6.5 has not worked as well as my 5.56 and I'm hoping to learn how to fix that here.

Thanks
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Welcome WalnutRed from the great state of Georgia.

Chuck

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Welcome and thanks for your service to our country
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Best fix for your rifle is too get rid of the bca barrel and rebuild it with a more quality barrel.

Call Mark at PF and tell him what you need. And get the new member discount as well.

Trust me you will thank yourself later.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum WalnutRed! The members on the forum will help you sort out your 6.5 Grendel and thank you for your service!

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Welcome to the horde from the Republic of Texas and thank you for your service. Like A5 said ditch the barrel and what is your budget for said barrel?

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

My 2 cents worth of advise if you want to give the BCA barrel a fair test is to try out the Sierra 120 Match King bullet, either reloads or Federal American Eagle factory ammo. Might be a keeper!

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Welcome! What does "has not worked as well" mean? What problems are you experiencing?

Comment

• WalnutRed
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                  Welcome! What does "has not worked as well" mean? What problems are you experiencing?
                  I may replace the barrel but I want to sort out other issues first, some of which may be operator error. Optics are a Leupold AR 3x9 with fixed mounts. First range session was with Wolf ammo and resulted in 3.5" groups at 100 yds with an inconsistent zero. I decided part of the wandering zero was the 8lb trigger pull so I installed a LaRue 2 stage trigger taking it down to 4.5 lbs. I loosened and torqued the scope mounts and ordered some Hornady Black Box ammo. Next range session the zero stopped wandering, still getting 3" groups with Wolf and 1.5" groups with Hornady. This is with the forend supported by sandbags and the buttstock supported by my hand. I have a couple Mosin Nagant 91/30 that shoot this well with surplus ammo and iron sights so I'm a little disappointed. Have not tried 200 yds yet. The LaRue trigger was a big improvement.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

Take a look at this forum thread I started. I had unrealistic expectations of accuracy to begin with.
                    The kindly forum members set me straight!

I checked nearly all of the posts in the Target & Competition thread looking for the very best accuracy a Grendel can do. If this question is handled in another place, please direct me to it. I'm looking for an elite group who have set the bar, the top of the heap, the leaders of the pack etc.. :) to compare how I am

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

3" with wolf and 1.5 with eldm seems about right. Working as intended.

Comment

• WalnutRed
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2019

OK, I feel better now after reading these replies and that other post.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

I wouldn't worry with the Wolf stuff and would not use it to determine how good my barrel is. The Hornady Black should shoot well but you need about a 150 rds. down that barrel before it's settled in.

Comment

• sundowner
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2017

Your about right with both loads , some barrels are different with different hand loads but that's a whole new post .

Comment

• WalnutRed
                              Unwashed
                              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                              My 2 cents worth of advise if you want to give the BCA barrel a fair test is to try out the Sierra 120 Match King bullet, either reloads or Federal American Eagle factory ammo. Might be a keeper!
                              I had picked up some Sierra 120 MKs earlier this spring but have not loaded anything up. I don't have enough reloadable brass or even 6.5 dies yet and it will probably be fall before I get that far.

Comment

Working...
                              X